1.8L JH 8V engine tear down.

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:01:13 -0700 "Joe Doty" <rocco2nr@hotmail.com>
writes:
> I have rebuilt two VW engines (one 9A with unknown mileage, one PL
> with
> 140k) and reused the stock pistons with brand new rings, without any
> problems.  A ridge reamer was not necessary, at least in my cases.
>
> Joe

Ya know, ive built A LOT of motors and have yet to use a ridge reamer.
Got one at work, dont know how to use it either. :)

Seems to me that unless your in a real pinch/hurry to put it all back
together, your better off getting it bored or at the very least, honed.

On most any motor with a few miles (more than @70K) there will be the
depression at the top of the cylinder. (huh, the illusive ridge perhaps?)
if this is the case then it should be bored. Next size up (or more) and
new pistons installed. Otherwise your compression will never be what it
should or, could be. Thats just me, I build motors to last and perform. I
dont want to have to go redo everything that shoulda been done right in
the first place. Thats just me tho, do whatcha like.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V   88' Corvette -SS- #30  2001 SDR Solo2 Champion
Scirocco" 84' Scirocco 8V 82' Scirocco RIP 80' Scirocco S 79' "Project
FSP
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.