new head impressions/problems (of course)

finally finished installing my new head today. 1.8 16v P&P, decked .012",
schrick 268/276.  first-it feels fast; good midrange. surprisingly, it loses
steam at about 6k. at my little timing stretch of road, it was just about
the same speed as my old head (1.8 w/ euro cam).  several problems:
1. timing--i'm pretty sure i'm off with the timing.  when i timed it by the
cams, the sprocket (kent adjustable) mark was back toward the firewall by a
tooth. not sure why. brett c said this was because of the decked head, but i
still don't understand why the cams would be on, but the sprocket wouldn't;
the sprocket is connected to the cams. i timed it to the sprocket mark.
tomorrow i'll try moving it a tooth.
2. mixture is a constant 10ma. i hate this. just replaced o2 sensor a couple
of mos ago, and had a problem with the connector to the heating wires. i
don't think that's the issue now.  measuring o2 voltage directly, my needle
barely moves. but it does move. analog crap ammeter. i think i'll break down
and buy digital soon. i richened by 1/4 turn just to be safe.  can anything
else cause this constant 10ma besides o2 sensor and ecu? turning the screw
doesn't seem to affect dpr at all.
3. idle is crap. expected this, but if i come off the gas hard at a light, i
stall. can't really deal w/ this till i straighten out the above.
4. there's oil in the coolant. yikes. not a ton, but enough to make me
worried. no white smoke, no water in the oil. i probably got it in the
coolant passages with all my messing around. did a compression test and got
140-150-150-130. this was with the timing off a couple of teeth, which i'm
guessing is the cause of the low compression. should've repeated, but i'm
lazy.

i think that's it. i have a fuel enrichment box that's been unhooked (it was
faster without it). once i get timing/mixture right, i'll hook it back up.
any suggestions on how i should proceed/what i should shoot for for idle
specs?
tia,

-Michael Abatzis<--takes apart perfectly working cars, and makes it so they
don't work as well.
Hotlanta! GA
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, prelim web site, but not taking orders
yet: www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...