Hard starting q's

Julie Macfarlane wrote:

> The car: '81 16v conversion. (thought I'd just throw that in  :)
> First thing in the morning, the car is REALLY hard to start. I can crank &
> crank. If I keep my foot off the gas, the car will eventually start. LOOOONG
> crank though. It will run a bit, then die. Another long crank & it will
> start & run correctly.
> The fuel pump is very loud at this point, getting quieter during the day.
> After running it is a first crank start.
>
> Any ideas guys?
>
> Replace the pump?
>
> Julie Macfarlane

Some assumptions:

- 81 has single (external) pump, no intank pre-pump.

- VW Motors have 5th injector for use during cold starts, it's run off
coolant temp sensor.

- VW Motors don't like air leaks in the CIS system, causes run lean
condition.

- There is a corosponding air bypass valve (God only know were such a
thing is on a 16v), connected to a heating coil that closes when warmed
up, these two items serve as an automatic choke during starting
conditions and depend on factors like is the motor Hot or cold, etc.

Is the 5th injector squirting gas? IS it dribbeling when it shouldn't?
Is the bypass valve closed or open, does it change value (mov)? Is there
12v to the 5th injector? How's your starter & it's power cable?

What happens if you hold your foot down on the pedal (WOT) during
startup?

TBerk