Hard starting q's

The car: '81 16v conversion. (thought I'd just throw that in  :)
First thing in the morning, the car is REALLY hard to start. I can crank &
crank. If I keep my foot off the gas, the car will eventually start. LOOOONG
crank though. It will run a bit, then die. Another long crank & it will
start & run correctly.
The fuel pump is very loud at this point, getting quieter during the day.
After running it is a first crank start.

Any ideas guys?

Replace the pump?

Julie Macfarlane
Web Developer
Albany NY
Charter Member "Scirocco Anonymous"
'85 8v-?? "Scarlett" (frankly, she doesn't give a d**n)
'81 16v-2Y "Animal"
ICQ: 7704980
http://216.153.141.3/scirocco/