16v head gasket surfaces

No, no, no! You guys aren't reading carefully!! :)

I *am* going to replace both the gasket and the bolts. I have a new 2.0l
16v gasket and new bolts on hand along with a buttload of other new parts.

I just put the old gasket on with the old bolts (*not torqued*)
temporarily so I can use the lift points on the head to lower the motor
out. The 1.8 head is still on the 1.8 block so I'm not going to install
the new head gasket now - I'm gonna wait until I bolt the 2.0 block and
the 1.8 head together.

Thanks for the advice about cleaning out the bolt holes. Didn't find out
about that until later last night when I was looking through old
rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled posts and I came across somebody pointing
out that oil in the bolt holes can cause hydro-lock and keep the head from
torquing down all the way. I'm very glad I found out this information as I
was hesitant to spray degreasers all over the head because of the coolant
and oil passages. I guess now I -will- do that but just make sure that
they dry completely before re-installing the head.

In any case I have 3 days to fool around with this stuff and put in my
tranny seals so there's plenty of time to pay attention to detail. I just
wanted to know whether I should err on the side of clean head surface or
on the side of unscratched head surface.

Thanks,

-Toby