1.8T Swap in Mk1

I, honestly, wouldn't let all the "what-ifs" get in your way though Sal.   I
have done a LOT of "TOUGH" type of swaps and work on various different kinds
of cars including a swap that no one else has done (until I did it!) so if
you have the will and the extra money you CAN do pretty much any swap you
want if you really focus and, like I said, got the moollah!  I believe that
the 1.8T could be done pretty easy with an aftermarket fuel system and a
little modification to the engine bay!  Plus, just because it is
"fly-by-wire" in it's stock state, doesn't mean it has to stay that way!!
Anyway, this is all only my educated experienced opinion so do with it what
you please.  Just make sure, Sal, that once you decide, don't let anyone
talk you out of what you really want to do, just get on with it and get it
done!!

Dave

P.S.  This by no means is a flame toward you Eric!