[Re: tranny leak-where is it?]

"Michael Abatzis" <abatzis2@hotmail.com> wrote:

>From: "Dan Bubb" <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com>

>This tube is puke green on every 020 box I've seen.
>On the passenger side you will see a green tube sticking out about 3/8".=

>It's normal.

yeah, that's what i was talking about.

>ya know the tranny can only leak so many places and we're all just
>playing grab-ass here guessing.
>
>Drive shaft flange seals
>shift linkage seal
>clutch pushrod seal
>clutch lever seal
>speedo cable seal
>gaskets (two each)
>vent
>end cover
>and last, but definitely not least, the reverse gear shaft bolt (13 mm h=
ex
>on the bottom of the case that looks like a drain bolt)
>
>I'm thinking it's one of those.
>Dan

thanks--that's exactly the list i was looking for. also, the tranny was =

leaking before i overfilled it (that's why i put in more redline). a coup=
le =

of those seals i didn't know about; now i know to look there. anyway, i'l=
l =

clean it up today, drive it, and take another look.

-Michael Abatzis
Hotlanta! GA
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, prelim web site, but not taking order=
s =

yet: www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...

One thing about the flange seals I learned recently. My driver's one has =
been
leaking despite heroic measures for the last year give or take. ( new sea=
ls,
flanges, and even diff bearings) Anyway, this latest leak seems to have b=
een
stopped. I asked the service manager at the dealer ( gasp) if there was a=
ny
secret and he said they use something called crocus cloth to clean the
offending flange and off I went and got some ( felt pretty stupid asking,=
 but
it does exist, a sort of denim backed fine abrasive cloth) and so far no =
leak
with this latest seal. Co-incidence? Perhaps, but the Redline seems to be=

staying in. For how long, who knows. This is my car after all.
Cathy