[Re: crash clarification]

Cathy Boyko wrote:

> Jean-Claude Desinor <desinor@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>  I think this is normal behaviour. In most rear enders, you will see
> the front of cars all damaged, while teh rear looks like it had almost
> no damage.
>
>  The front on most cars nowadays is a crumple zone, so as to protect
> the occupants. They commit hara-kiri to save you.  More worrisome though
> is the doors not opening anymore. You need to ecavuate the area as
> quickly as possible.
>
>  The side door (on teh Escort) will not crumpla as much, it is supposed
> to protect the person sitting next to it.  I'd be surprised if that door
> opened easily after the collision.
>
>  I got rear ended once by a Mazda 626 (in 1985). The driver of the
> Mazda lost control after being rear-ended by a Chevette, and went into a
> spin. The rear driver side door hit my rear right bumper. The rear of
> the Rocco had only a slight crease, the Mazda was totalled.
>
>     Jean-Claude
>     85 8v
>     96 Jetta GLS
>
> Captnbr@aol.com a écrit :
>

>> Wow, our roccos sure do fold up real easy don't they.  From the looks
>> of the escort it looks like a minor fender bender, but looking at the
>> rocco, OUCH.
>>
>> Brian 86 16v
>> 98 Jetta GLX Vr6
>>

> Escorts mash up pretty well under the right conditions too, my
> brother's ex
> Escort didn't have much left of the front end, depends how they are
> hit. (car
> turned in front of his, so it was a solid front end hit, thankfully at low
> speeds)
> Cathy

The escort (in was actually a linx) involved couldn't open the driver's
side door. It's interesting to note what happened to this car. The owner
of the linx planned on driving the car away from the scene. When he
turned the key, the battery exploded.

Brad
1987 Scirocco 16V accident
http://homepage.mac.com/bfritzges/PhotoAlbum2.html