So anyway.....

>Jon,
>
>Have you taken any pictures of the starter internals? I'd be interested in
>seeing them if you have.
>
>I need to take my starter apart to clean and/or replace the solenoid
>contacts. Sometimes the solenoid gets stuck on and the starter keeps
>running even after you turn the key off and take it out. Only fix is to
>pop the hood and disconnect the battery quick before it goes dead. Then I
>have to 'shock' the starter by briefly touching the main power lead to the
>battery terminal again and jostle it loose.
>
>Irritating, to say the least.
>
>I'd like to save money instead of buying a new starter.. especially since
>I just blew $900 on my 2.0l 16v swap project. So let me know if you have
>any pics or can offer any insight on the solenoid part of the starter..
>
>Thanks,
>
>-Toby

I'll take and post some pics tonight before I put it back together.
Unfortunately the electrical section of the solenoid is sealed closed with
no way to inspect it. The plunger can be taken out, cleaned and lubed some
though. If yours is bad, I do uinderstand that you can buy just the solenoid
for about 45-60 bucks as opposed to a whole starter.

Jon