(OT) Question for the engineers on the list

--part1_139.16d2794a.2af2319a_boundary

Tom,
You won't get any more horsepower, you will actually lose some due to
frictional losses in your reduction box.  What you will get is a
multiplication of torque.  Horsepower is TORQUE times RPM divided by 5252.
All things being equal, in a gearbox, when you reduce the RPMs by 4, the
torque available increases by 4.  BTW, you can't make more power without
putting more energy into the system.
HTH.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner
http://members.aol.com/sailingfc/
(B.S. Mechanical Engineer & farm boy)

In a message dated 10/30/02 7:39:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,