durability of JH block internals and going turbo

ATS - Patrick Bureau wrote:

> The JH 1.8 makes 90HP,a JH/3A (PP Head w valve Job)w/G grin Cam, Header is
> expected to pull out 130-150HP, perhaps not 200HP but for air aspired that
> is pretty damn good for an 8v, considering a 16v give out 129HP. would you
> not count that as huge difference in power?

You know I don't want to brag here ;^), but two weeks ago my 2.0 NA 8V
laid down 132 uncorrected WHP and 126 lb-ft on the NGP dyno, so I'm well
aware of the increase in power the extra 200cc with all the mods makes.
I'm just saying if you're using a turbo then you can get more than
enough power from the 1.8 JH if you have fuel and ignition right to make
more power than a Scirocco can reasonably use. So, in this case having a
2.0 isn't mandatory the way it is with an NA engine.

> Yes the 10.1 compression issue is one that I am trying to figure out as
> well. the only thing I can think of is getting Forged pistons and get the
> ones that would drop the pressure to a reasonable 9/9.2:1, though I think
> this would make the turbo setup restricted in how much boost can pass
> through it before blowing something.

It is my understanding that the stock ABA piston can be machined to
lower compression to 9.2 for use in a forced induction engine.
BUT, I don't know if the same is true of the 3A piston and I also don't
know if this compromises strength and limits maximum boost.