cool pics

Neal Tovsen wrote:

> --- Brandon Smith <scirocco_speed@msn.com> wrote:
> >
> > yeah, why the mazda showed up i have know idea,
> > nobody even talked to the
> > poor guy,

Aw man, you gotta reach out!  <lol>

<snip>

> > 1.8t's and BMW were passing him to keep up, and yet
> > even the other VDubs
> > couldn't catch me (in the caņon).
>
> Not surprising at all! I've found my Scirocco LOVES
> twisty roads. Light weight and a very responsive
> chassis. With some good tires, they stick like glue.

Yepper. I just need to not over power the damn thing.

> > It was even
> > funnier to watch that WRX try
> > to act hard as he managed to pull off  a 4-wheel
> > drift going around a corner
> > (and almost off the cliff).
>
> The factory tires on the Subarus SUCK! And they have a
> lot of turbo lag, so they aren't easy to drive fast
> when there are turns involved. But a good driver in
> one is pretty much untouchable by any VW you can get
> in the US.
>
> Neal

I can relate to that one. I took the (stock) MY02 WRX over the same ride
we later took to Pescadero and the WRX would handle great, right up to
the point the tires break loose and no amount of steering technique or
power would help stop the sideways drift. Stock tires just don't grip
enough.

In fact I came back after being a navigator (not passenger damnit!) and
two days late I had trouble walking from the calf workout I got during
the ride. "Feet to the firewall, Eye Captain!"

I have the Dunlop SP9000 195/55/14 on the Roc (man, it's been a long
time) and I'll prob be able to whup the WRX in a very twisty road
course, as long as there aren't too many straight stretches. Put some
sticky tires on the beast and the HP advantage starts to get unfair.

TBerk