roccs in rain?

driving through torrential downpours/6-12" standing water today, had the
common problem of my alt light coming on for a few seconds. this has
happened on all 3 rocs i've owned (my old one used to die when this
happened). today i watched the voltmeter for the first time.  noticed that
it dropped below 10 when the light was on, then slowly rose to around 11.
for the rest of the ride home (10-15 mins) it never made it back above 11.
i assume the water is shorting my alternator somewhere, but does anyone know
exactly what's going on? when i put in some new grounds next weekend, i
wouldn't mind fixing this as well...

-Michael Abatzis
Hotlanta! GA
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, prelim web site, but not taking orders
yet: www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...

Surf the Web without missing calls! Get MSN Broadband.