HVAC Control Panel Bulb

This is funny since I just replaced mine last night   :-)

If you are very careful and use an exacto blade and a small screwdriver you
can remove the back plate from the front panel... the white piece that has
the light in it.

Now that this is removed take a pair of needle nose pliers and push on the
two metal contacts coming out the back of the panel, behind the bulb until
they push out the bulb assembly. The bulb lives inside a plastic tube and
is not part of the panel. The contacts are part of this tube and the whole
thing will slide out.

Now that you have this take the needle nose pliers and pull the two metal
contacts out... Wiggle a little but not much since you will need to press
these in again. With the contacts pulled out the bulb will fall out since
it was held in by it's leads on these tabs.

A replacement bulb is hard to find since most of the bulbs in this diameter
are too long but you can make due with a bulb like the one inside the
headlight switch. First use a Dremel to mill out the inside of the bulb
carrier making it deeper. Take the new bulb and unfold the leads so they
are straight and slide the bulb into the carrier and test fit it into the
assembly... You need to make sure you have gone deep enough so the top of
the bulb does not interfere with the clear plastic used to distribute the
light... you can remove the carrier again buy using a small metal poker to
push it out from the back side since the leads are not yet installed.

Once the depth is met you need to put the contacts back. Place the new bulb
into the carrier. The bottom of the carrier, where the contacts go, is
sorta T shaped where the contact pin fits into the top cross of the T.
Place the bulb into the carrier and using a small pair of tweezers bend the
leads so they come down the vertical part of the T...

Text art may or may not work.

_____________________
|                                    |
|________        ________|
               |       |
               |  __  |      <---Lead bent into this channel.
               |____|

With the lead in place press the two metal contacts back in... they will
pinch the wire when they slide in and hold it in place as well as make
electrical contact. Test the bulb and if it works slide the carrier back in
and re-assemble the whole thing using super glue in just a few places...
Don't use a lot since you don't need it and you may, someday need to
replace the bulb again.

That's it!
Simple huh?

-Raffi

The easier version of this experiment is to find one of the older panels
that used replaceable bulb and if it does not have the icons you want
simply take the two panels apart and swap back plates to make your panel a
removable bulb panel... but that would be toooooo easy... My way is much
more complicated and satisfying.