Stand-alone engine management?

These standalone systems are not car/make specific. (Unless you drive a
Honda!) I believe there is a Canadian company that has created a wiring
harness and maps for a DTA system to make it plug and play on the 16V
although not sure what models or the whether the it directly fits the
16V Scirocco.
I installed a Haltech E6K on my 8V. It's up to you to decide where to
put the sensors and the wiring harness is only terminated at the ECU
end. It took me a week fulltime to convert my 8V from CIS to the E6K and
a year later I still adjust the maps on occasion. Also, it's worth
pointing out that the fuel maps need to be changed if you make changes
to your engine that effect volumetric efficiency. Different cams,
different exhaust or downpipe, even something as simple as changing cam
timing! You would not believe the difference in maps between a G grind
cam and a 274! Unless you understand ignition and fuel systems and know
approximately what the shape of the maps should be I wouldn't tackle
this without help.
As far as EIP; there was a guy at the NGP dyno days that paid EIP $2000
to install and tune a TEC II on his Scirocco. The tuning sucked and EIP
will not give him some files he needs to modify them. Also, he said the
wiring in some cases was just ends twisted together with electrical tape
over it! He had to redo the wiring himself.
There are a million stories of how EIP have screwed people. There's a
reason there is no link to EIP on Scirocco.org.