Turbo question, thoeretical

Not to start a war on turbo charging.  but if all you want is a little
extra OOMPH from the engine and not a monster, then you are on the right
track.

Absolute CHEAPEST turbo setup you can run is a nice tight JH engine with a
turbo diesel manifold and KKK turbo, Audi Waste Gate, Audi Intercooler, and
SAAB blow off valve.

A for fueling use STRAIGHT VW CIS (NOT E) with the old style distributor
with the dual vac. ports.  Retard with the Boost and Advance with the
Vacuum side.  Then swap out your Warm up regulator for an AUDI 5000 one
that is boost sensitive and away you go :)

If you want to make a few better mods, use the Audi 5000 turbo as they are
water cooled and will save you hassle later (use the Audi 5000 turbo frost
plug for the water return line), tap the oil line off of the sender and
return into the block (instead of a turbo diesel oil pan). Upgrade your
intake and TB to allow more are flow in and upgrade your exhaust to allow
the turbo to spool quicker.

The only thing you have to worry about is that the stock CIS air box is not
designed for Pressure, and will leak like a sieve when you run boost
through it. So you need to seal it up nice and tight. (Fiberglass works good)

The worst part for the "do it your selfer" is getting the tubing plumbed
for the intercooler/intake/exhaust, etc..

You can do up the whole thing dirt cheap (cheaper than a 16V conversion)
and it will go like stink.

At 02:31 PM 10/27/2002 -0500, John C. Worden wrote:

>Just a quick question.  Without getting into specifics or arguments on what
>is better....
>If a person used a turbo with a diesel manifold on an 8V motor, couldn't
>they use the CIS
>from another brand of car(such as Audi, Saab or Porsche 924) to run the
>motor?  I understand
>the Audi would be a 5 cylinder, but electrically I wonder if the CIS would
>know/care anyway.
>Anyway, as I said, it it just a question and I realize there are much
>better ways to do it.
>
>John

Cory Langford
'86 turbo project - running, just needs tuning :)
'79 daily driver - Restore in progress...
'65 Ghia - The next project in the garage