oops! I hooked up the batt. charger wrong, please help-

--=====================_2719450==_.ALT

If the battery is dead, and the alternator is no longer charging, that
would <drumroll please> kill the car. :)
Jason

At 10:42 AM 10/23/2002, Mr Neubold wrote:
>Yeah maybe it would toast the regulator, but I wouldn't think that would
>make the car die, it just wouldn't charge anymore...

would &lt;drumroll please&gt; kill the car. :)<br>
Jason<br><br>
At 10:42 AM 10/23/2002, Mr Neubold wrote:<br>
maybe it would toast the regulator, but I wouldn't think that would make
the car die, it just wouldn't charge anymore...</font>
<dl>
<dd>----- Original Message -----
<dd>From:</b> <a href="mailto:amalventano@sc.rr.com";>Allyn</a>
<dd>To:</b> <a href="mailto:volks.wagen@verizon.net";>Mr Neubold</a> ;
<dd>Sent:</b> Tuesday, October 22, 2002 8:33 PM
<dd>Subject:</b> Re: oops! I hooked up the batt. charger wrong, please
help-<br><br>
<dd>i'm having a hard time picturing the method of failure as
well.</font><font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>Al</font>
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>----- Original Message -----
<dd>From:</b> <a href="mailto:volks.wagen@verizon.net";>Mr Neubold</a>
<dd>To:</b> <a href="mailto:robw_z@yahoo.com";>Robbie Cotner</a> ;
<dd>Sent:</b> Wednesday, October 23, 2002 12:10 AM
<dd>Subject:</b> Re: oops! I hooked up the batt. charger wrong, please
help-<br><br>
<dd>seems strange that a 6 amp charger could ruin 90 amp
diodes........... someone explain this to me</font>
<dd>&nbsp;<font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>Jason Neubold
<dd>85 Maroon 8v
<dd>86 Tornado Red 16v
<dd>85 Tornado Red Audi Coupe GT</font>
<dd>----- Original Message -----
<dd>From:</b> <a href="mailto:robw_z@yahoo.com";>Robbie Cotner</a>
<dd>To:</b>
<dd>Sent:</b> Tuesday, October 22, 2002 5:31 PM

<dd>Hey all, today I hooked up my 6amp battery charger backwards for about 3-4 seconds.&nbsp; Oops, I don't know what I was thinking.&nbsp; Anyway my car drove fine for awhile, and then all the sudden it won't start.&nbsp; I jumped it, it fires right up, and start driving again... barely any power... turned on the lights for a second and the engine almost died!&nbsp; The Bentley says &quot;if you hook up a battery charger the wrong way, even if for only a few seconds, your diodes will be damaged.&quot;&nbsp; So does that translate to &quot;get a new alternator?&quot;&nbsp; This was a 90 amp alternator, damn!&nbsp; I would hope the electrical system would be more forgiving...&nbsp; so assuming I do need a new alternator where is the cheapest place to get one?&nbsp; Anyone have an old 90amp alternator they want to sell?&nbsp; Would an Audi 120amp alternator bolt on?<br><br>

<dd>Do you Yahoo!?