oops! I hooked up the batt. charger wrong, please help-

--0-1573839267-1035333072=:93082

Hey all, today I hooked up my 6amp battery charger backwards for about 3-4 seconds.  Oops, I don't know what I was thinking.  Anyway my car drove fine for awhile, and then all the sudden it won't start.  I jumped it, it fires right up, and start driving again... barely any power... turned on the lights for a second and the engine almost died!  The Bentley says "if you hook up a battery charger the wrong way, even if for only a few seconds, your diodes will be damaged."  So does that translate to "get a new alternator?"  This was a 90 amp alternator, damn!  I would hope the electrical system would be more forgiving...  so assuming I do need a new alternator where is the cheapest place to get one?  Anyone have an old 90amp alternator they want to sell?  Would an Audi 120amp alternator bolt on?

thanks,

Rob