1.7 8v Power Options

The good news? You already have the dual outlet exhaust manifold and
downpipe! (at least I'm pretty sure you do) So, you'll see no benefit to
changing that out. ;^)
G grind cam, catback exhaust w/TT dual downpipe, fuel metering unit
w/80mm metering plate if you have the 60mm plate. Bigger TB will make
your engine feel faster although the actual WOT gain will be next to
nothing.
The big limit on your engine is the little bitty valves. Have to change
out to the GTI head (or later hydraulic) to 40mm intakes which should
make a hugh difference although you'd have to check and make sure the
bigger valves won't interfer with your smaller bore.
Unfortuneately, there's not much that's cheap here.
Dan