1.7 8v Power Options

get the camshaft out of a 1.6 (go figure, the smaller engine had a bigger
cam...?)
Get the larger airflow plate out of a later rabbit (of course you're going
ot need the rest of the airbox...)
Take everything out of the car that you don't need (including the back
seat... it may be louder, but it's the most cost effective go faster thing
you can do)
remove the downpipe and the rest of your exhaust (not a good idea, but it'll
give you more power, and the harley guys will give you the thumbs up)

That's about all the cheap things that I can think of off the top of my
head... other than new components those are your best bet. if you want to
get a little more expensive...

Port and polish the head, and get it shaved a little for more compression
(should be good for about 20 Hp by itself)
pick up a 2.0 from nightshadow (I think he had some on the go...??)(it may
not help your 1.7 but it will help your car!)
the re-curved distributor from the potterman is suposed to help out a fair
bit, but I can't say for sure as I"v not tested it.
TT exhaust can offer up some freer flowing exhaust without the harley guy's
approval (although your neighbors won't mind living near you again...)
last I ehard there was an oettinger head that bolted right on, made it a
16v, and boosted the compression, and horsepower a fair amount. the only
thing with that is that there was maybe 500 made and most of those are in
rabbits now... with most of what's left in junkyards :(

Jerry Carter