Plaguing 16V problems... (Long, please help)

>From: Ryan H <rhock99@epix.net>
Here are a few things I suspect and why:
>1.) O2 sensor - there is no difference in the car with it plugged in >or
>unplugged - should this be?

you probably wouldn't notice a difference either way.

>2.) DPR - I can't test this, as I don't have the harness to do so - any
>suggestions?

yeah you can test it. check your bentley.  all you need is an ammeter, some
alligator clips and small spade terminals (or small wire or whatever to use
as a male end). you said "full tuneup" though? this should have been
included.

>3.) Coolant temp. sensor - if this goes bad, would it make the engine think
>it's running too hot and retard timing?

i don't think so, but not sure...

>4.) Vacuum line - how can I check the knock box vacuum line for leaks?
>Would any other lines cause this?

take it off, cover one end, suck on the other end. you shouldn't get any
air. quick and dirty.

>5.) Hall sender - but mine isn't cracked, and no oil is leaking on it

no reason to think that's the cause. a lot of people seem to think this is a
cause of high rev probs, but my experience says they either work or don't.
car won't start if it doesn't work.

>6.) Knock box wires - the wires "seem" ok, and wiggling them makes no
>difference.

doubt that's it either.

>7.) I'm at a loss for anything else...

it could be many things--o2 sensor is a good place to start, double check
timing, check dpr, etc. bentley has a procedure for checking timing advance,
you need an adjustable timing light though--if you think it's timing, this
is where to start (basically rev engine, see where the timing goes).  other
possibilities include fuel pumps, coil, injectors, wrong timing (ignition or
cam), compression prob?, etc. hth,

-Michael Abatzis
Hotlanta! GA
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, prelim web site, but not taking orders
yet: www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...