Continuous Cold Start Injection and Idle/backfire problem linked?

I am wondering IF my cold start circuit on the 8v is constantly running.  If
so, whether this could be the source of my low idle (500rpm) and light
backfire issue(s) that I mentioned about 10 days ago?

My thinking is based on this:

On a true cold start (engine completely cold) the engine (MINE) runs at
about 750rpm (it's timed a bit low anyways) for a few minutes.  The aux. air
regulator is clearly open (valve is physically open, elec. circuit is
'closed') and allowing air in to mate with the cold start injection.  But
could the thermoswitch be faulty and be sending a constant signal so that
after the aux. air regulator closes (shuts) the coldstart injector is still
pumping that fuel in there?  An excessively rich mixture would, in my mind,
logically produce a poor idle and would explain why I am getting that
backfire on deceleration.  Just my current thoughts.

I will test it tomorrow by starting it WITH the coldstart harness connected.
After a brief warmup, I will then disconnect the harness (so that the
coldstart injector will at least not be fully open - a leak shouldn't be
this bad).  If the rpm stays constant at about 750rpm, I would think this
indicates the coldstart loop is staying ON.

Anyone want to counter this?  BEFORE I even think of messing with the idle
mixture, I am going to try to isolate each system that could be affecting
this.  This is step #1.

Thanks for any input,
Phil Kerschner