power steering/ belt issue?

Hia,

So its about 10 PM and in downpour conditions so I haven't really had time to
look but here's the story:

My car isn't exactly the most water-tight beast on the road when it comes to
under-hood, so Ithink there are two possibilities here.

I took a short drive (5 minutes or so) after my car had sat in pretty heavy
rain for about 4 hours. As I stop to make a left hand turn the Oil and OXS
lights come on, very very dimly. I go to make the left and notice that my power
steering is non-existant. Now I'm not sure is this a sign on the belts being
wet/not tensioned enough to cause the failure, or is there something wrong with
the wiring? it would work fine sometimes, and then not work others. Always when
the power steering wasn't working the oil and OXS lights would come on, but
voltage was still fine indicating that the Alt. belt was working fine (am I
wrong on that?) Anybody have any ideas what could cause this little problem.
Note, I didn't hear and belt squealing or anything. I have to take it on a 20
minute drive to work at midnight, so I'll have more info when I get there.

Anybody have any ideas or any problems like this on their cars?

thanks!
Lyman
87 8v Scirocco