VTec Motors, Was: Another honda race story, Victor is victorious. Yawn.

I have some friends that are big honda nuts so here is my basic=
 understanding.

The smoke is normal because Vtech kicks in by an RPM being=
 reached.  Vtech is in very basic terms, about the same as a 16v=
 WOT but along with the extra fule being dumped in, Vtech also=
 changes the valve timing.  This basicly results in an initial=
 blast of smoke from the extra fule or "Bat Smoke Screen" as my=
 friends like to call it.

Any Vtech will do that new or old.  As far as how the engines=
 hold up, I'd have to put them on par with other import makers as=
 they hold up great unless you beat on the car 100% of the time=
 and there isn't any engine out there that will take that abuse.

I still enjoy the fact that my 200k+ milage 16v rocco keeps up=
 with my buddies under 40K 94 Civic Si up till about 110mph where=
 his Vtech really starts to show what it can do.  Especially=
 since his S1 is only a 1.6l sohc.

William

> on his ass, breathing an evil puff of vtec smoke every time he=
 shifts.

Anyone know anything about the V-Tec motors having premature=
 failure?  They
are fairly new yet (last 5 - 8 years???) and I see a bunch of=
 them smoking
lately (usually when shifting like Ron stated).  I don't know a=
 bunch about
them or their recalls or anything but I hardly ever see ANY VWs=
 smoke unless
their diesels around here and there are a LOT of VWs in the NW!

Dave