A quick word on deer whistles

--=======50401BA4=======

At 06:59 AM 10/10/02 -0700, Jorel Jackson wrote:

>Where I'm from I live in mortal terror of hitting a
>deer while driving at night. You see their dead bodies
>along side the road almost on a daily basis. I've had
>several close encounters with deer in my 16V. I always
>knew of those cone shaped whistles that are supposed
>to scare off animals. For aesthetic reasons, I've
>never used them. They just don't seem to go with
>Sciroccos. Anyways, I got a pair for my new truck.
>They don't look so bad on the truck, and they also
>don't seem to work. Right after I put those things on
>two deer jump out right in front of me. I hit the ABS,
>swerved and got off with a soft, damage free thump.
>Moments later, another critter of unknown genus
>scampers across the road with glowing eyes. I missed
>him too. I paid a buck and a half for those whistles...
>
>=====
>Jorel Jackson

I have never used them, but a friend of mine used to.  He never had
any deer run out in front of him but it seemed every bird and small
rodent-like animal wanted to run/fly in front of him.  He eventually took
them off because he was sure they attracting other animals.  I think the
best bet is to stay very watchful and be ready to flash your lights and
honk the horn.  That usually get's them going.  If it's a road you drive a
lot you will learn where they tend to hang out.  They seem to like the same
areas, or at least they do near me.  As far as aesthetic reasons not to
mount the deer whistle; behind the grill should work or under the bumper
and back a bit should keep them out of view.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.
'92 Polaris Indy Deluxe