From: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Brian Haygood
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 1:53 PM
To: vince@performancecarstereo.com; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: RE: blue alternator wire/battery light/no voltage

Blue wire runs from battery (+), through instrument panel/warning light, and
on to the alt.  It brings +12v to the alt.  The current from this wire is
used to get the alt going, called "exciting" the circuit.  Without an
initial current like this the alt will never get going.  It's a good bit
like priming a pump.

The circuit at the instrument panel compares the voltage on the two ends of
the wire as well.  If the alt voltage is not slightly higher than the bat
voltage, then the light comes on to tell you it isn't charging.

BH