shearing bolts and shafts

  does vw have a problem using weak metals? for the second time in as many
months i've sheared off the shaft going into my outer cv joint. when i asked
about this the first time around noone seemed to have had the happen to them
before, but now i've done it twice. also noticed my volts were running a
lil' low on my gauge so i pooped the hood to check the alternator and found
my belt was loose. why was it loose? the top "adjuster" bolt was shorn off.
fortunatly i had a spare alternator for a quick swap no i can extract the
broken bolt at my leisure. but still does anyone else have these kind of
stupid problems?
   hit

So Sayeth The Hitman
'86 "psycho 16v" scirocco