has anyone ever peformed speaker foam repair?

Yup, I did this on a pair of Infinity RS3's (small home speakers) a few
years ago.  Instructions were good, just center the cone in the voice
coil with the little plastic strips (get these if they're optional,
even if they're next to nothing as far as technology, it's sure nice to
have them).  After you *carefully* remove the old foam, you're
basically just Elmer's gluing the new foam in place.  It's worked great
on my Infinitys (with the poly cones) for oh, 5 years now.

HTH, I'd do it again (and yes I used newfoam.com),

Ron