blue alternator wire/battery light/no voltage

Patrick said, "I would test the alternator at the alternator terminal
before making such an assumption, it is simply possible
your gauge is dead."

He's some what right.

Dave said, "While the car is running, check the voltage at the battery
(across the
terminals).  If it is about 13v (13.5-14 is best) then your good!  I realize
the blue wire goes to the gauge but it is actually the field wire--it tells
the alternator to charge.  HTH!"

He's also somewhat right.

The blue wire comes from the gauge. With only 1.3v on the blue wire your
alternator will not charge. It needs a dozen or so volts to excite the
alternator coils. Find out why you only have 1.3v and your gauge will work
and the alternator will charge.

Rick Alexander
http://www.brubakerbox.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/hams/