Crank and water pump pulleys don't line up

Bill Collins wrote:

> I finished re-assembling the engine from my '86 (8V, JH) last night and noticed that the water pump and crank pulleys don't line up.  The water pump pulley is about 1/16 inch closer to the block. <snip>
>
> Since the crank is correct, I assume that I either have the wrong water pump (I used the one the PO put on the engine, since he replaced it right before toasting the engine) or I have the wrong water pump pulley.

Sounds like PO used non-OEM replacement pump. Common problem.

> Any ideas?  I could just shim the water pump pulley out, but I would like to know what's really wrong before I do that.
<snip>
> Bill

Yep easiest to slap some shims between the pump and it's hub. Depends
some what on the length of fasteners.

Keeping it the way it is works but will lead to some strain on belt and
bearings.

hth,
TBerk