OT...Re: how to put a US car on the road in England

Theres a good story for you. Do you Brits etc know why we drive on this side
of the road?

It started back before the Revolutionary war against British rule. To piss
off the ruling brits, we changed the side of the road to ride on and fined
those that did not obey. After the war, we just never changed back.

It does make more sence to me (learned to drive in Australia) to use my left
hand to shift, keeping my right on the wheel.

>From: Gordon Forbess <gforbess@att.net>
>To: "Josh Able" <mkii@nycap.rr.com>
>CC: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
>Subject: Re: how to put a US car on the road in England
>Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 14:08:29 -0700
>
>On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 20:55:42 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >Ok, any clue who to bug about getting an international permit thing so a
>US
> >owned/registered/licensed car can be put on the road in England, and
>driven
> >about? After all, once its on the road there, its supposedly cake to
>Chunnel
> >it and make a bee line to the Fatherland. :D
>
>There have been a few threads on rec.travel.europe about people who
>have done this. A clear title (no liens/loans) and insurance are
>important.  You'll need to get local insurance coverage &
>documentation as US insurance doesn't cover you.  I believe you can
>drive on the us plates for some time.  The shipping company should be
>able to help you.
>
>I don't know if the Brits will object to the steering wheel being on
>the wrong side, however.
>
>Gordon

Julie Macfarlane
Menlo Park Research & Development