anyone else always have trouble w/ 8v timing covers?

--0-1199283796-1033798797=:50745

Hey all,

A few months ago when I installed a fresh JH 8v in my '83, the lower timing cover rubbed on the tensioner and who knows what else, so my quick solution was to remove it completely.  Now winter is coming fast, and I think I should put it on.  I have a brand new one now, and tried to put in on today but it just won't go on right!  Should it go on fairly easily, or is something screwy on my engine?  Also, there are two bolt holes around the crank pulley, one of them I can get a bolt through but the other(higher up) one appears to have been specifically designed to make it impossible to get a ratchet, wrench, or anything on the bolt to turn it(the place where the bolt threads is recessed in a 1" deep circle, 1/2" in diameter).  Anyone else know what I'm talking about, and if you do how did you deal with it?  Basically I'm wondering if I should give up because something is very wrong, or if it is normal for installing the lower timing cover to be a bitch.  Also, how bad would it be to run through the winter without the lower timing cover?  Thanks in advance,

Rob