From: Allyn
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 2:18 PM
To: Vince Royer; Scirocco List
Subject: Re: What would this do... (technobabble)

1. when cold, the oil is too viscous. in extreme cases, its so thick that=
 it
cant properly flow into areas of tight tolerance, resulting in those area=
wearing. keep that up a few times and eventually you have something major=
 go.
2. your engine does not warm up evenly. during the warmup process there a=
re
large differences in temperature across the thick portions of the block/h=
ead.
this temperature difference results in high tensile stresses in some area=
s.
throwing high rpm stresses in there may be enough to make some preexistin=
g flaw
start spreading into a large crack.
3. operation at high rpm implies faster heatup of the metal (due to faste=
combustion/friction/etc), making the temperature difference greater, and =
the
tensile stresses (#2) even higher.
4. when cold, metal has a lower stress point where it will fracture. this=
 makes
#2 even worse if the stresses are in an area that hasnt warmed up yet.

other babble to throw around:
Fracture toughness (KIC): ability of a metal to prevent a preexisting cra=
ck from
propogating under a given tensile stress level.
Thermal stresses: tensile stresses due to temperature difference across a=
object.

side note: there are very specific rules for running reactors that govern=
 rates
that you can heat up/cool down. they get much more restrictive the colder=
 you
go. reactors arent much different than engines, as both are just hunks of=
 metal.

HTH
Al

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 180k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX ('it has begun', rocco #7)
86.5 Occo 16v Trailer (dotting 'i's across the country, rocco #8)
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original clutch=
,
driveshafts, wheels :)