Selling my Scirocco...

Well, folks, reality has finally hit me.  I need to sell my beloved
Scirocco.  I've had this car for several years and had big plans for it.
This wasn't an easy decision to reach.

I'm in the process of making a family.  My girlfriend and I just bought a
house, she has a nine-year old kid, you folks can probably guess the rest.
I just don't have the time or (the important part) the money to devote to
what is really a hobby car for me.

It's a 1981 Scirocco, five-speed, pretty basic.  It's in
Fayetteville, West Virginia, USA.  (The closest big town is probably
Beckley, about twenty miles away.)

I've done some stuff to repair it:  New motor mounts (two of them the
high-performance variety), new cold-start injector, new distributor, new
struts all around, one new axle shaft, and miscellaneous other small things.
It runs well but idles rough, probably needs a fuel pump.  The timing belt
and water pump are new.  The body's in good shape, considering its age.
There are two small rust places, one on the left rear quarter and the other
on the hood, of all places.  I drive it nearly every day, and it's never
left me stranded.

I know it's going to need a clutch soon, and it needs either a head rebuild
or a ring job--it smokes when started after being run for a while.  (Well,
it
smokes when started, but it's worse after being run.)  The interior needs
some work, too.  I bought some new carpet, but insisted on putting it in
myself, which was a mistake.  I cut it wrong, and it doesn't fit.  Doesn't
matter, really--it's faded anyway.  The seats are dirty, too, and they're
beyond cleaning.  I have an original radio, but don't know if it works.  I
*do* know that all the factory speakers work.  Oh, yeah, I had to have a
broken exhaust manifold stud replaced.

I have an extra transmission (a four-speed) and some neat wheels.  The
wheels are VW-made, can't remember the style and they're at my mother's
house as I'm typing this.  (One of them is nicked in a couple places, not
too badly but noticeable close-in.)  I'll go and find out if anyone's
interested; they look like spokes, which that probably tells you what they
are.  I think they were standard equipment of some models, but I'm not sure.
I also have the air-conditioning compressor I took out.  I have some
interior parts, too, but they're small things, like the vacuum canister for
the heater controls, stuff like that.  The exhaust system is new from the
manifold back.  I have a front bumper that's from a '78, and some exterior
lights from that year.  I also have a mismatched set (at least, I think
they're mismatched) of Euro lights and a Euro grille.

out, so the VIN number won't match the title; I don't see this as being a
big deal, but any potential buyer should know about this.

Price:  No reasonable offer refused.  I'll drive the car to within four
hours of where I live if we can arrange a way for me to get back.  It'll
have to be a weekend, though.  (My girlfriend might be able to help out
here, but she's got a heck of a schedule.)

I want to sell everything at once, so all the extra stuff I have lying
around goes with the car.

I really don't want to do this, but like I said up there, reality has hit.
I need to get a decent car to haul my family around in, and I'm not getting
any younger.  Someone make me an offer so I don't have to sell this to
someone who's going to to drive it back and forth to the coal mine.  I want
this car to have a good home and the loving care it needs.

I don't have any pictures, but I can arrange to borrow a digital camera and
take a few.  I can send them via e-mail to interested folks.  You can
contact me off-list at clfitz@charter.net or clfitz@fmrs.org (my work
e-mail.)  Scirocco mailing-list messages are filtered into a folder, so make
sure you don't cc to the list or it'll get buried in list mail and not seen
for a couple days!  I don't want to send my phone number all over, but if
you're sincerely interested, send me an e-mail and I'll return my phone
number if you want to talk.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading this far...

Carl Lee