Center Console mods

Ok, I'm a pretty big guy and I don't exaclty fit all that well in my car.
This past week I took out the center console to fix my climate control and
started driving around with out the console.  I really like not having the
console's edge diging into the side of my leg so I want to mod it.  Has
anybody done anything with cutting off the top half of the center console so
they have their climate controls mounted?  I'm thinking about doing that and
then finding something that will look good to go around the shifter.  Then I
would probably move my stereo into the glove box seeing that all thats in
there now is elvis tapes.  I was just wondering if anybody had done this or
had any tips for making it look good.