Noisy clutch

Last week I brought up the subject of  possible faulty clutch release
mechanism on my 83 close ratio "020". I was experiencing a complete loss of
clutch, like a broken cable, but the cable was "relatively" OK. Opened up
the release cover and removes the clutch lever etc, thinking the mechanism
was stripped. Bearing seemed fine and all parts were good. Put it all back
together and adjusted the free play. At the same time replaced all the
bushings and replaced the missing weather seal boot (the most expensive item
on the project at $40.00 (CDN) for boot, and cap! Anyway, still having
problems engaging the gears. Checked adjustment and everything is fine. I
have not touched the 5th gesar adjuster as of yet.
Symptoms:
A definite "rattle" or "clatter" coming from the bell housing. It disappears
if the clutch is depressed. Most noticeable when you are underneath right
next to it.
Difficulty in engaging  gears, as if the clutch is not fully disengaging.
The cable is old and adjusted to the max. It will be replaced.
A slight "shutter" or "vibration" transmitted through the clutch peddle when
you depress it lightly .  You can feel it quite well if you simply lift the
clutch lever  on the tranny by hand to take up the free play.
So with the weekend quickly approaching, and before I get all greasy again
and remove the transmission to get at the clutch assembly, I would
appreciate a second opinion from those in the know.

Bill
83 Scirocco
83 Rabbit GTi