subwoofer box install info

i've decided to go ahead with putting my old subs in the rieger. i will make it
a quick disconnect type of setup where i can remove the box+amps to get the
weight/space back if needed. i need some first hand advice/experience as far as
the speaker direction is concerned.
- past setup:
2 kicker solo-baric 10's in a sealed box, .7 cu ft. per speaker, no divider.
speakers located directly behind rear seat, driving upwards at 20 degree angle
towards the rear (i.e. parallel to the hatch glass).
- that setup was decent, but it was a little echo-happy. i think it may be a
combination of me not dividing the box (each speaker also had the other speakers
airspace, only became an issue where bass notes were coming from a single side),
and the fact that the speakers were driving mostly upwards, using the whole
hatch as a resonance chamber, which made too much of a peak at certain
frequencies.
- proposed setup #1:
same 2 10's in a new sealed box, with a divider, .8 cu ft. per speaker. speakers
driving directly at rear seat (parallel to it, 20 degrees up from horizontal).
- proposed setup #2:
same as above, with 10's driving directly at the rear.

when making suggestions, please realize that i am not looking to impress people,
i want the most accurate sounding bottom end as possible. i'm driving the subs
with 800w, so power is not an issue. my main problem is getting rid of the echo.
i think my best bet is #1, but i am not sure about the airspace with that
configuration since there will be added load at the front of the subs (due to
being right up against the rear seat).

thx in advance for info
Al