Heated garages (WASRE: you know your a Rocco Nut when youcarpet your garage...)

--=======5F8C7650=======

At 06:18 AM 11/29/02 -0800, Jorel Jackson wrote:

>--- "John C. Worden" <scirocco@powerlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Damn I wish it were 40 here.  For those of you in
> > the north who may be
> > considering
> > building a new garage, you should look into radiant
> > floor heating.  It is
> > great to work
> > on a car in the middle of the winter lying on a warm
> > concrete floor.
> >

> > John C. Worden
> > Bucksport, Maine
>

>What does that do to your electric bills, because that
>sounds like a great idea?
>
>Jorel Jackson
Hardly anything Jorel.  Radiant floor heating is a bunch of tubes
laid down before the concrete is poured and later hot water is passed
through from the boiler.  So you do use some heating oil but, with a
garage floor as it's own zone you can keep it low, until you use it, so it
doesn't affect the oil bill much.  This is the setup my inlaws have for their
whole house and it's nice to have warm floors(you can do this for floors
w/o concrete too), in the winter, especially in the morning.  My father-in-law
likes it so much when he built his seperate from the house garage
(28X40 14'high ceiling) he laid down the tubing for it too, and is going to
be running it off an oil fired boilermate, normally used in conjunction with a
furnace to keep your hot water hot in large quantities.  As far as cost he
uses about two tanks of oil a winter so far for the house(which has a good
sized garage too) which is a little of 4000 square feet.  The only drawbacks
to one of these systems are initial cost is higher than a conventional system
and if you want to make a noticable change in your inside you need to think
ahead, like a few hours.Both are pretty minor drawbacks if you've spent any
time inside a building heated this way.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.
'92 Polaris Indy Deluxe