EGR & charcoal canister stuff (needed?)

No actually I have no AC.  I have the one canister in the passenger side
with the hose that connects it to the other canister in the drivers side,
and the hose that leads from there to the intake manifold.  My question is,
can I simply vent the gas vapours and plug the hole on the intake and remove
the whole system? Surely somebody has tried this through all the engine
swaps/whatnot.

Vince