desperate help needed (back up light)!!!

It's not often I am desperate...well not with the car anyway, but I am
asking for anyone's help because I really need it to get this car sold so I
can move already.  Now I went through the archives and found no answer to
this. Here's the story, and I will keep it brief...

Put new switch in and the back up lights don't work (check the switch and
it works fine).  What mechanism is it that triggers the switch in the
transmission?  Am I going to have to tear into the tranny to get these damn
lights to work??? And no this is not a crazy obsession to have back up
lights.  I need to have them to pass a safety here in SK.  If I just
complete the circuit on the connector (black wire and bk/gy wire) going
into the passenger compartment the lights work so it has nothing to do with
the fuse box or wiring.  I have it pretty much narrowed down to the switch
not getting triggered, therefore not completing the circuit and lighting up
the said stoopid ass back up lights. So if anyone has any experience in
this, or just some suggestions, before I go tearing into the transmission
please contact me ASAP!!!  TIA

Jody Bailey (trying to leave the sticks that is saskatchewan)
82 Scirocco 2L 8v