oil filter attachment

Yeah, I know that sounds pretty stupid.
Anyway, at some point, the threaded tube that screws into the oil filter =
on
the 16V got assembled wrong, and when I change the oil, I get the  filter=
 with
the threaded tube attached, at which point I have to loosen a nut to deta=
ch
the filter. Anyway, I'm assuming the nut should be on the upper (engine) =
side
of this assembly, preventing the tube from spinning off at all, but which=
 end
of the tube should be towards the filter? I'm sure the two ends are of
different lengths. So long or shorter section of threads towards the filt=
er?
I'll likely do the "new oil for the winter sleep" thing this weekend,
depressing thought. =

Thanks, Cathy