Reverse light switch, dealership, reciprocating saw and country ham

I picked up a new reverse light switch today.  I have a plug in one and
there are two kinds - a black one and a brown one.  The black one was in
stock at the dealership (#191919823).  Hmmm, instock , I guess that means
they fail quite often.  I got a suggestion to relay the reverse light so
the switch last longer.  has anyone else done that ?  Did it make the
switch last longer?
For some strange reason, the parts guys at the dealership I use to work at
are giving me the hook all the time.  It's strange because I get a better
deal now than when I worked there.  $26!  I've never put one in but it
looks like a 10 minute job, atleast I hope.
I'm getting my part of Thanksgiving dinner together.  I found a new use for
my reciprocating saw.  I put on a fresh blade and cut the hock (the end for
all those non-cooker) of my country ham in record time!

Kervin
86 Scirocco 8v 2.0 p&p 4k+80% and lots of other numbers and letters
88 GTI 16v Still sitting and it's winter time now
00 tt600