Gas Pedal feels stiff even with a new throttle cable.

WHen I let my parents drive my car they told me that
the gas pedal felt really stiff and hard to start off
and accelerate.  I replaced the throttle cable b/c I
thought thatwas the problem and since the other cable
was starting to stretch out.  I noticed from the TB
that the when you try to rev it from the TB it feels
really hard unlike my Quantum's TB.  The TB also looks
dirty and kindof corroded.  What can I do to clean
that area so when the gas pedal is used it feels
smooth.  Carb Cleaner?  Buy a new TB, like an Audi 5k one?

=====
-Andrew Wong
1984 Black Scirocco
1987 White Quantum wagon