Autocrossing.

Most regions have a combined street tire class (sometimes called novice
class) for those who haven't bought race tires yet.  Your standing in
that class is by taking your raw time and multiplying the PAX index for
the class your car would fall under if you had race tires.

For example, you could be running in the same class as a Z06 Corvette,
but your index of .782 for GS is much lower than the Vette's .837 index
allowing you to run a lot slower raw time.  In other words, you could
run 40 seconds and the Vette run 38 seconds, but you would still be
ahead of him/her in the standings.

Mike