Autocrossing.

Stock class makes me laugh a little, because yes, the car must remain
*mostly* stock (no upgraded suspension/sway bars, etc... definitely no
engine changes either) but in stock class you need good race tires to be
competitive.

I found a class that worked for me last season when I ran my mk2 16v...
Street Touring (STS) is a good class to go into if you want to run your
car with street tires.  This class is for those of us who have upgraded
suspension... like Konis with H&R's, upgraded sway bars, strut braces, etc.
No engine mods allowed AFAIK...
This class is a *very* competitive class in the Cincy area, which definitely
makes it fun... to me at least!  ;)

But this season, running my mk1 with a 16v swap, I had to go to Street Mod.

Neal's advice is key... first season, have fun... "run what ya brung"...
then in prep for the next year, try to pick a class that you like.

Ben