16v has more power when motor is cold?

The fifth injector is a cold starting aid, and shouldn't be running for
more than about 20 seconds after the operation of the starter, IIRC.  A
leaky fifth injector results in bogging and excessive fuel (fouled plugs
etc.) unless, of course, you have a turbo, and you're looking to fuel up
the gobs of extra air you're stuffing in.  Even then, the fifth injector
is poorly placed for even distribution and would be a pretty crude method
of extra(over)fuelling.

The better performance noticed on cold starts may be stemming from the
ke-jet controller running the engine rich (with O2 sensor out of the loop)
until the car (and the cat) are warmed up.  A noticeable difference in
power may indicate that the air/fuel mixture needs adjusting or the O2
needs replacing... :)

Drew

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 Captnbr@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/22/2002 12:05:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> skerocdriver@juno.com writes:
>
> <Maybe thats because the 5th injector is giving a little more fuel for
> that added HP gain? >
>

> Now the key is, how do we get this 5th injector to run all the time, so the
> car acts like its cold.
> Brian 86 16v
> 98 Jetta GLX Vr6

Drew MacPherson - '84 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco TurboDiesel