OT Why are license plates always blacked out?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leach, Michael" <michael.leach@lmco.com>

> I can think of a few reasons why possibly license plates are always
blacked
> out in pictures....but what is the real reason?
>
> just curious
> thanks

The best reason I can think of is to stop someone from saying, "Oooh, nice
car.  Now I'm going to go steal it so it's mine."  I think, not sure, that
in some states you can find somebodies address online through the DMV for a
small fee.  I do know that, at least in MA, people who work in insurance
agencies are able to enter a plate # and find out the address.  So, if you
have a friend that works at one, simply have them run the plate for you.
I'm not sure if it works for out of state plates though.

My $.02
Chris Z.