16v has more power when motor is cold?

Toby,
    the resistor-in-line thing might backfire on you. o2 sensors make voltage,
but are incapable of producing any kind of decent current. that is why you have
to use a digital meter to measure o2 sensor current (analog meter loads the
sensor output down, and the voltage drops because of it). the cis computer has
an extremely high input impedance for its o2 sensor input, meaning that the
current going from the o2 sensor to the cis box is so small that it probably
wont even register on a digital meter (we're talking micro-amps here). with all
of this going on, trying to drop the voltage received with series resistance
would probably be more trouble than its worth.
    what would work would be a simple op-amp circuit between the o2 sensor and
the cis box. you could make the gain adjustable, letting you dial-in just how
much % boost in fuel you want. even easier would be to skip that part of the
loop and and mess with the  resistance of the coolant temp sensor. This is
already done in the way of 'power modules' and the like, and should work for
your application.

before doing any of this, i would test the coolant temp sensor, o2 sensor, coil,
and dpr, as any of those things can cause the same symptoms.

last note: you'd be surprised just how much of a power difference can come from
warmer intake air. you'd also be surprised about just how good the intake is at
dumping the cyninder head heat into the intake air stream.

HTH
Al