broken bearing from tranny

--0-1868956747-1037933822=:44959

that one looks whole because i also bought a bottle of quick tite gel and i was playing with it b4 i took the picture.  so is the concensus that i should replace it or not? and if i should, where can i get one at (maybe 2 i havent opened the other side yet)? or does anyone happen to have one laying around?
-tony
 "T. Reed" <treed2@u.washington.edu> wrote:Tony,

I think thats part of the "limited slip" shim setup that vw put in
the 16v trannys. Its pretty common for these to break (i had some pieces
fall out when I last pulled my tranny) but it doesn't /really/ hurt
anything. Supposedly you'll get slightly less traction, but I tend to
believe that the limited slip barely does anything anyway.

Most people remedy this by installing an 80% diff shim kit (~$80-$120)
from peloquin or velocity, which replaces the stock shims with ones that
supposedly offer greater slip-resistance. Better than stock, yes.. but
worth the cost? Not likely.. in my opinion the money is better spent on a
real limited slip (ie. a Quaife) or saved towards getting one.

BTW the one in the picture doesn't look like its broken?? The little
notches are supposed to be there, I think.

HTH

-Toby

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Tony Morehead wrote:

> still workin on the agb tranny. pulled off the driver's side flange (that the inner cv connects to) so i could replace the oil seal. when i looked inside the transmission i found 3 small pieces of brass laying in the bottom. these pieces fit together nicely to form what i believe to be a bearing. the piece seems to slide onto the shaft and into a nice little area next to the differential. my question is what is this piece called and what is the part number for it, so that i might replace it while i have the thing apart.
>
> here's what it looks like and an idea of size (because my hand is in the picture):
>
> http://www.geocities.com/three_oaks_kennel/Tony/brokenbearing.jpg
>
> tia,
>
> -tony
>

> 1987 2 or 3 tone 16v scirocco