Slighty OT - Wifes 89 cabby

Winter has finaly started to hit here in Ga and the wife wants heat in her
89 cabby so I set off to find the problems today.  Engine temps arn't the
problem I knew that so I was looking into her vent controls and best I can
figure is that the vacume distributer is shot.  While trying to figure that
out, I also noticed that as soon as your turn the blower fan switch to any
speed setting, her radiator fan kicks on.  Now her vent system is stuck
blowing through the windsheild defrost vents, could the mean that the vacume
distributer is stuck in that position and trigering the rad-fan as if the
AC/Defrost was on?  Because no matter what position I have the vent selector
in, there is no sounds of air.  I have replaces the vacume lines under the
hood and tested the vacume there (not with a meter of any kind, just the
finger test) I do get vacume.  I haven't replaced the lines going to the
vacume distributer as I can't hear any air moving and they all look brand
new.  Going to see if my rocco parts car has the distributer still in it and
try to replace that.

I just kinda want to make sure this is a possibility.